National Dog Day: 5 Ways to Celebrate!
“The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.” M.K. Clinton
National Dog Day started in 2004 and is observed annually on August 26th. The theme is embracing the opportunity for all dogs to live a happy and “abuse-free life.” On this day, dog lovers are encouraged to adopt a dog and take the time to enjoy their fur-babies.
The Mission: Find Every Dog A Home
The goal of the National Dog Day foundation is to rescue 10,000 dogs each year.
“Millions of dogs are killed each year because they’re simply unwanted, says Colleen Paige, founder of National Dog Day. They’re unwanted because no one realized how to properly care for the demands of the breed. They’re unwanted because they were bought as a Christmas gift for a child that didn’t keep their promises about caring for the dog…unwanted because they shed too much…unwanted because they bark too much. UNWANTED…simply because someone changed their mind. All a dog wants to do is love and protect you. That’s all. Dogs are amazing, courageous, sensitive and sentient beings that deserve compassion and respect. Please consider bringing what was once considered “unwanted love”, into your heart and home on National Dog Day!”
Dogs provide us with companionship, they keep us safe, and they naturally aid those in need. Dogs willingly put their lives on the line everyday for their law enforcement partner, their blind companion, a child who is disabled, or whether it is for our freedom and safety by detecting bombs and drugs and pulling victims of tragedy from wreckage.
We can all learn from dogs when we recognize their unconditional love, happy attitude, loyalty, obedience, trust, companionship, and so much more.
5 Ways To Support National Dog Day
- ADOPT a dog from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization. Start a new doggy journey on National Dog Day!
- VOLUNTEER at your local shelter by walking dogs, cleaning cages, or anything you do to help. Also, you can donate blankets, food and toys to local animal welfare organizations.
- WALK your dog, or assist an elderly neighbor in walking their dog. Remember to download the Walk for a Dog app to raise money for your local shelter.
- PAMPER your dog by buying a new toy, brushing your dog, giving a massage or holistic spa treatment, or by taking your pup to a doggy play resort or dog park to socialize.
- TEACH your dog a new trick while giving him treats and lots of loving!
Reader – How are you celebrating, or how did you celebrate National Dog Day 2015?
WE LOVE HEARING YOUR COMMENTS AND THANK YOU FOR READING THE DOG PAW POST.
For more information about National Dog Day, go to www.nationaldogday.com
Related Article: Best 5 Tricks To Keep Your Pup Cool This Summer